By Amanda Cifuentes, M.S., CCC-SLP
May is a very exciting month at Columbus Speech & Hearing! This month, we are celebrating two things we love – mothers, and Better Hearing & Speech Month! Are you looking for fun ways to celebrate these events while practicing speech and language skills? Look no further; we’ve got you covered.
Did you know? President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation in 1914 stating that Mother’s Day would be celebrated each year on the second Sunday in May!
- Cards: Practice using complete sentences. This is also a great time to work on vocabulary, such as adjectives describing the moms in your life!
- Cooking: If you are making a special treat for Mother’s Day, this is a great opportunity to practice sequencing with your child. Before cooking, tell your child what you will do first, next, and last. Talk about what you are doing as you are cooking. Take pictures as you cook and use the pictures to have your child describe the treat-making process to the lucky recipient!
- Crafts: This is a great opportunity to practice requesting, commenting, and describing. Put necessary items like glue, tape, or markers out of reach, but in sight to encourage your child to request them. Practice naming things you like about each person’s craft. Describe the stickers, ribbon, glitter, and colors of the finished product.
Better Hearing & Speech Month
What is it? BHSM is a month focused on raising awareness of various communication disorders and the treatment targeted to improve hearing and speech abilities.
- Make a Communication Collage: Brainstorm the reasons that you are thankful for communication. Are you thankful that you can communicate with friends? Ask for cookies? Tell a joke? Share kind words? Find pictures in magazines that represent reasons you are thankful for communication, cut them out, and make a collage!
- Communication Connections: Communicating allows us to form and maintain relationships with others. Reach out to someone you care about using your favorite communication method – email, phone call, FaceTime, text, card, picture – whatever is best for you!
- Learn Something New: Visit our social media pages throughout the month of May to learn how we are celebrating Better Hearing & Speech Month! We’re on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn!