Over the past several months, speech therapists everywhere have been learning how to make teletherapy fun, engaging, and beneficial to their clients. The SLPs at Columbus Speech & Hearing have created a list of some favorite tele-friendly activities, and they can also be used with parents at home!
- A quick Google search will allow you to find endless Mad Libs to complete at home! Work on reading, writing, sentence grammar (verbs, adjectives, plural nouns, word order…), story elements (characters, setting, problem, solution…) and more while creating silly and fun stories.
What’s in the Bag?
- Grab a grocery bag and take turns hiding different toys or objects from around the house inside. Whoever hides the object gives clues for the others to guess what it is! While playing this game you can practice describing (“It’s green, round, and you can eat it”), question asking (“Is it something from the kitchen?”), and perspective taking (Does the guesser have enough information? Do I need to tell them more?).
- Does your child need to practice some speech articulation sounds? Check out this FREE resource! Go to TeachersPayTeachers.com and search for “Free Speech and Language Digital Spinners”. Our therapists make great use of these and say that their clients love them, too!
- Head to UsefulTrivia.com to find all sorts of trivia topics! From sports to comic books and many topics in between, this website is perfect for school-aged kids who are working on answering Wh- questions (who, what, when, where, why, how), creating complete sentences, or just for fun!
Rory’s Story Cubes
- This educational game has endless possibilities – and you do not need to be a speech therapist to take full advantage! Follow the directions included with the game to work on language skills, imagination expansion, concentration, and more. See who can make the funniest or scariest story! Available at StoryCubes.com, Amazon, and Target.
This post written for you by Natalie Day, M.S., CCC-SLP of Columbus Speech & Hearing
Want to receive more activities like this? Join our monthly mailing list! Subscribe here.